Wednesday 8 February 2012

Take that treadmill!

Hello!

Post run day so time to share my thoughts on last nights run.

Tuesday is my regular night to run with my colleague from work and last night was no different other than there being some white stuff on the ground. Now, when it snows in the U.K we panic. I'm no different. If I didn't have a full time job I would simply take to hibernation when the white stuff falls and ice becomes ever present. Sadly, work is a necessity and until I live the lifestyle of Ms Carrie Bradshaw I must venture out in the blizzards. The other thing about snow and ice is my ridiculous fear of the stuff. I am yet to meet someone who becomes more paralysed with fear at their front door than myself. I can't explain this fear but it really takes over me. Anyway...given the ice and my fears, myself and my colleague needed to come up with an alternative to running on the roads.

I'm a member of a gym and sorted it out for my running buddy to come along for the night. This was actually a real treat for her as she got to go in the pool and steam room and generally have some time to herself away from husband and 4 boys! The woman needs a medal!

So there we were, kitted up ready to go on the treadmill when disaster...my colleague has forgotten her shoes! I offered my spare pair of trainers (seriously what kind of person has trainers just for spinning?!?! I really do think I'm a pro-athlete!!) But I'm a size 7 and she is a teeny tiny 5 so it wasn't working out. Fast forward half an hour later and her husband has come to the rescue with trainers in hand. Off we go to locate 2 treadmills next to each other. I start giving my best gym instructor speech about how to use the machines when comedy descends. Whilst I am fiddling around on the screen of my buddies treadmill she has figured out how to use the controls on the rail of the treadmill. Anyway, neither of us realised at first the speed just kept going up and then all of a sudden it was a cartoon moment. I was hurting from laughing so much and neither of us could hit emergency stop! Once all the fun and frolics was over and done with we managed to actually get on with some running. That is after all what we went to the gym for.

I clocked up 5K in 35.47 mins. pretty pleased with that. I enjoyed it (I usually hate the treadmill) and I could have done another K I think. I then went on the bike and did 4 miles on that while my friend went to chill in the pool. All in all it was a good session and I'm looking forward to the next one. I burnt 520 calories in total and then un-did all that hard work with 2 scoops of Ben and Jerry's at the cinema. I enjoyed it anyway!

Spinning class tonight, I might do 15 mins on the treadmill pre or post spin depending on time, hunger and tiredness (swear I need to actually hibernate!). Next run likely to be Saturday. Fingers crossed for the ice to melt!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment