Saturday 4 February 2012

Feels like I'm 15 again...

After a couple of days in London and lots of tasty food a run was much needed this morning! I also figured that going for a run would mean my leftover Hummingbird Bakery cupcake would barely touch the hips.

As I was at my mum and dads I needed to devise a route the would give me the distance but also be ok under foot. Luckily I know these parts pretty well, after all I've lived there since I was born and left for uni. My little old hometown also has the benefit of being in the land of flat terrain, Lincolnshire! Made a nice change to the mountains (ok I exaggerate!) of Sheffield.

Given that I left planning a route till the last minute I needed to come up with something pretty quick as I was already talking myself out of going as I munched on my cereal and looked out the kitchen window at all the frost. Somehow I managed to drag myself upstairs and get in my running gear, it would have been stupid to take all my gear home and then not use it so by this point I was determined to go. I set out the door and decided I was going to do my old schools cross country course.

Off I went and man was it cold! Without trying to sound lame I think the cold affected my breathing and I wasnt sure how to get around this. I carried on and the K's started clocking up. Well, so my fancy new Nike +app was telling me. I got to 3.5k and my chest was hurting so I slowed down and walked. I felt bad for this but I would have probably felt worse had I not taken the rest. I set off again and reached home after completing 4.68k (that's running as I paused Nike + for the bit I walked)

So all in all it was cold, my chest hurt but I did it. I feel angry that I had to walk because I'd have got another 5k under my belt again had I not walked but if I'd have carried on I would have hated it and not classed it as a run I enjoyed. Guess that's the thing with running, you have to make some tough calls sometimes and you'll always think 'what if'.

The thing I am pleased about today is that I did that school cross country course. Finally the girl that got picked last, has no sporting prowess and generally went cold at the thought of P.E lessons cracked the school cross country course. I could never do it at 15 years old but today, at almost 10 years older I've done what I thought was once impossible.


Next run scheduled for Tuesday. Rest day tomorrow with double spinning Monday. Snow.... You better melt! Xx

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Well done for running in this ridiculous weather :) x

    ReplyDelete