Monday 23 April 2012

Inspiration x a million

So my promise of keeping up with blogging is going well...for now. How long it will last I don't know!!

This weekend was boring. In fact when I say the highlight of my weekend was baking a cake and going for a run that shows just how boring it was.

Like many people this weekend I was up pretty early on Sunday morning to watch the coverage of the London Marathon. This event is something which has never really interested me before, why anyone would want to run 26.2 miles was beyond me and generally I thought being hungover in bed was a less horrific option then pounding the streets of the capital. This year however I thought very different.

I was excited to watch the marathon. I was keen to see the elite athletes in action and be totally amazed at how they breeze round in astounding times but most of all I couldn't wait to see the "normal" people taking on the challenge of a lifetime and witnessing the sense of pride amongst the runners and spectators for this immense event. I have put the word normal in quotation marks because I feel these people are so much more than normal. Running is not easy, whether you have a natural talent for it or not, it is not an easy thing to do so anyone that does not run as their profession is a hero in my book for signing up to such an incredible physical challenge. Everyone running yesterday had their own reasons for doing so and ultimately it's that purpose which got them to the finish line. Charities are the big winners of events like the London Marathon but I believe that everyone that took part yesterday is a winner. Whether they did it in 3hours or 7hours. Those people have done something that is seemingly impossible to so many others.

I would love to one day be able to do a marathon. Who knows if I ever could do it but after watching the coverage yesterday I found myself wanting to do it and believing that if I put the work in I could do it! Maybe I should just take a risk and enter the ballot when it opens next Monday? What do you think?

Ultimately I found yesterdays events inspiring and it made me proud to be a runner. My run yesterday was nothing in comparison to the marathon runners we saw yesterday but I was motivated to go out and that motivation definitely came from watching BBC1 for the majority of yesterday.

To everyone that ran yesterday...you're a hero! xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment